This kids craft tutorial is the perfect way to add a little handmade cheer to your winter days! A red cardinal perches atop a handprint branch in this popsicle stick cardinal tutorial and I sure hope you are inspired to recreate it today!
It’s so easy for kids to make, and such a fun keepsake craft idea too. Just gather up some craft sticks, glue, cardstock paper and some paint, and you’re all set to create this adorable cardinal craft with your kids.
They’ll love seeing their own handprints transformed into a wintery work of art, and you’ll cherish this handmade keepsake for years to come.
So gather up those craft supplies and get ready to make some beautiful red birds with your child this afternoon! Happy crafting my friends!
This popsicle stick cardinal craft is so much fun to make, and it’s a great way to keep kids occupied on a cold winter day.
- Jumbo Craft Sticks
- School Glue
- Red Craft Paint
- White Craft Paint
- Small Paper Plate
- Paint Brush
- Black Cardstock Paper
- Yellow Cardstock Paper
- Brown Cardstock Paper
- Large Wiggle Eyes
- First things first – glue your SIX craft sticks together in an “L” shape. Three popsicle sticks on three popsicle sticks to make the body shape of your cardinal.
- Set aside to let it dry completely.
- Now grab a single sheet of tan or brown cardstock paper and your choice of writing utensil.
- Pick a hand – any hand will do!
- Lay it flat on the cardstock paper and trace around the hand & arm. This is the start of the tree branch.
- When ready, trim out the traced design with your scissors.
- Now grab your remaining pieces of cardstock paper and cut out some small feet & a triangle beak for the cardinal.
- Set those aside with the handprint cutout.
- Now back to the craft stick shape. When it’s dry enough, it’s time for paint! Squirt some red paint on the paper plate and paint your wood piece completely red.
- At this point in time, if desired, sprinkle some loose craft glitter on top of the wet paint.
- To finish off your Craft Stick Cardinal – glue your cardstock nose, feet and wiggle eye in place.
- Follow that up by gluing your handprint cutout to the BACK of the decorated piece. The bird will be perching “on” the tree branch.
- The final step is to add some snow! Squirt some white paint on the same paper plate and dip your finger in it, to make a few “snowflake” marks on the branch.
- Then add other embellishments you see fit, before setting aside to let it dry completely.
RELATED —> Warm Heart Craft